Wednesday 8 June 2011

Why I have stopped participating in religous blog discussions

To those of you who have been used in the past to my comments on various blogs for which religious belief is at the heart, I have decided that it serves so little purpose as to be a waste of time.  Most of the mainstream blogs are close knit communities of likeminded belevers, who use these blogs to reassure themselves of their faith.  They usually only welcome 'civilised' non-believers as guests in order to reinforce their own sense of belonging - It's harder to remain cohesive unless there are 'outsiders' to fend off. 

Too many times when atheists have commented and produced strong arguments against what they see as illogical or unsustainable views, the faithful band together and become ever more illogical and fervent in defending the undefendable.

However, my participation has resulted in some helpful  (to me) outcomes;
  • I am even better informed about religious belief in general, and the various forms of Christianity in particular.
  • I think I have a clearer understanding of what it is that makes many people more prone to belief in supernatural cause/influence/purpose
  • I have gained a greater understanding and acceptance of what it is to be a Humanist
  • I am convinced that there is no higher purpose to life.  This is all there is. And it no longer troubles me

No comments:

Post a Comment